Physical activity can take simple and modest forms, like getting of the subway or bus one stop earlier and walking to your destination. It can be taking the stairs, instead of the elevator, to your ofce or apartment. It can be taking your dog for a walk or your children to the park. A 30-minute brisk walk every day may be all you need to keep yourself in shape. Be experimental and find a routine you can nourish yourself with on a daily basis. What will get you moving?
- Start Walking Every day: Walking is the simplest way to start and continue a fitness journey. Walking costs nothing to get started, is easy and safe. Walking for as few as 30 minutes a day provides heart health benefit and is is one of the most effective form of exercise to achieve heart health.
- Think About What You Loved to Do as a Kid: Did you dance, bike, or hike? This is a good place to start when looking for a new exercise routine.
- What is Your Personality Type: If you are a quiet person who likes a lot of alone time, consider buying a small trampoline or a set of hand weights so you can move in the comfort of your home. • If you like being around groups of people, you can find team sports like baseball or volleyball, which have the added benefit of human interaction and fun competition. • You can also find a blend of the two by taking a group fitness class like Pilates, karate, or dance.
- When do You Feel Most Energetic: Just as some people think more clearly in the morning and others think more clearly at night, some people prefer to exercise first thing in the morning, while others prefer to exercise later in the day. There’s no right or wrong; it’s simply a matter of personal preference.
- Think About Convenience and Comfort Level: Look for a gym or yoga studio near your home or on the way to the office where you can work out. It’s important to find a location that’s convenient, and where the atmosphere is pleasant, comfortable, and welcoming. This will enhance your chances of going regularly.