We live in an era of limitless possibilities, where any person can achieve their dreams and live life with meaning and joy. Yet one of life's sharpest paradoxes is, your brightest future centers on your ability to overcome your limiting beliefs in your potential. Despite having noble intentions, many individuals live their lives on autopilot, not fully experiencing themselves in the world. And while activities like yoga, exercise, and meditation help, most people find it difficult to remain focused on what’s possible when confronted with the trials and demands of our fast-paced and ever-evolving society. Take a minute to imagine yourself in a tranquil atmosphere, separated from all the distractions you encounter. Then, ask yourself: What would I do if I wasn’t afraid?
We all doubt whether or not we are doing enough, making enough money, or if we are going to be “successful” enough. I know this personally, as I’ve devoted long periods of my life in a continuous state of fear and self-doubt. I questioned my abilities to the point that I was making my decisions based on what others desired of me, not what I aspired for myself.
Everyone struggles with uncertainty once in a while, even successful people. A little self-doubt is normal and healthy. It prevents a person from crossing the fine line between self-confidence and hubris. However, the difference between people living in fear is a highly successful person does not let self-doubt derail them from what they set out to accomplish.
I look at self doubt as just a temporary condition. Think of it as a bumpy road to success. When your self-confidence is challenged, just follow these steps and you will get past it. In fact, I have no doubt about your ability to leave self doubt in the dust.
- IDENTIFY YOUR FEARS. Are there any obstacles in your life that you know you need to confront but have been avoiding
- GIVE FEAR A SHAPE. Ask yourself what you are most afraid of. What factors contribute to your fear, what triggers it, and what gives it power over you? Also consider the ways in which your fears have been getting in the way of your happiness and success.
- VISUALIZE YOUR DREAM LIFE. If not for other people’s judgments and expectations, what would you be doing with your life that you feel inhibited from doing now? Make a list of as many things as you can think of, big or small, that you would do if you weren’t afraid.
- BREAK IT DOWN: Once you become consciously aware of your authentic self, you can begin to confront the areas of your life that are not in alignment with your truth. From there, consider creating a few small, reasonable goals for yourself each week to get yourself moving in the direction you want to go.
- CELEBRATE YOUR MILESTONES: Each time you successfully overcome a meaningful obstacle, take the time to share your accomplishment with others. Plan a small party or social outing – whatever feels appropriate. It is important to celebrate your feats with people you love. This will help to strengthen your support network and inspire you for future endeavors.