What is self-empowerment? The Law of Attraction states: “Whatever we think about, we bring about.” In straightforward terms, self-empowerment is the way in which you conduct yourself, and the image you project to others. A self-empowered person takes full responsibility for his or her life and actions and realizes that they are solely responsible for their reality. It’s about imparting you with the power to take control of your own destiny and live your life on your terms.
Even the most self-assured and confident person can at times feel like they’re blundering through life. The quality of a person’s life is not determined by his or her successes but rather how he or she handles himself or herself in a problematic situation. Everyone makes mistakes. We all occasionally feel uncomfortable or feel like hiding away to save ourselves the trouble of facing difficult circumstances. Self-empowered people face life challenges head-on with the courage to overcome any obstacle.
Often, when we contemplate ways to empower ourselves, our minds jump to big, bold ideas, asking our boss for a raise, quitting our job to become an entrepreneur standing up to a bully, or training for a marathon. These are all worthwhile goals, however, the reality of effective self-empowerment is easier. By making small changes to the way we act in response to the world around us, we can easily change our mindset from one of fear to one of confidence and capability.
Success and happiness do not happen by luck. We have to make a continuous effort to be happy and successful in life. Here’s the mind-blowing secret. Everything you need to know to be successful and happy is already in you. All you have to do is know how to harness and use it. Contrary to common principle that happiness and success are difficult to achieve, the most effective control over one’s life can be gained in an almost effortless manner. Every person has the ability to change their life in one second and live the life they dream. May all beings be happy and free and may all our words thoughts and actions contribute in some way to that happiness and to that freedom for all.
Here are 6 steps whereby you can begin to experience empowerment in your own life. Empower yourself and put yourself in the driver’s seat to your own personal success.
- Take responsibility for yourself and your actions. If you want to live a great life, then you need to take full responsibility for everything. Your life is your reality. No more blaming others for putting obstacles in your way. No more creating excuses. No more blaming your past mistakes. You are 100% responsible for your success, and your failure.
- Challenge your inner critic. When you start to feel like you can’t achieve your goals, you have to challenge those negative thought patterns? Replace your cant’s with cans and wont’s with wills.
Have confidence in yourself. A confident (not arrogant) image of your self will naturally project a more powerful image of yourself. Self-confidence feels good and gives you conviction.
- Make a positive impression. People react more positively to people who obviously take good care of themselves, dress well, keep neat and tidy and hold your posture. It’s also important to focus on what you say. Be mindful in the present and speak with a thinking mind, don’t think with a talking tongue.
- Don’t expect others to change. If you are unhappy with something or someone, don’t expect them to change to suit you. You can explain your feelings and perhaps suggest a way where both parties can compromise, but don’t just expect everything to change to suit you. Be prepared to make a positive change yourself and let go of relationships that do not support your growth.
- Be constructive. So many people are too critical, gossip or just complain too much. And humans, being the way we are, tend to slip into negative thought processes more easily than positive ones. So avoid the temptation to join the whining mob. Be positive and optimistic, provide constructive feedback on issues and participate in finding solutions to problems rather than just finding all the problems.
The Circle of Life
Reveal the “big picture” of your true dreams – and pave the road for a real, personalized action plan
I am a Board Certified Life Coach, a Board Certified Health Coach, and a teacher of Mindfulness Living who helps people unlock their potential and live life on Purpose